Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Weather

The weather up here in Jackson took a turn for the worse today. As you might assume, it makes the trips a little more complicated when you have to deal with all of the normal hazards and fight a thunderstorm. Fortunately, all of the groups were excellent, so things were a lot easier.

It never ceases to amaze me how quickly the weather can go from sunny to a complete downpour. Today, the weather went from perfect sunshine to complete overcast in about thirty minutes. And it is not just the weather that changes quickly. I can't the number of times that a trip has gone from complete safety to terrifying danger in matter of seconds, but to be honest, I am actually grateful for this aspect of this job. With dramatic changes that occur so quickly, it is almost impossible to get bored, and I have learned to be on my toes all of the time. I know that it is sometimes stressful for the river guides to always function at such a high level of alertness, but I know that later on it will prove to be a valuable skill for all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment